Subject: Re: Make .PATH strangeness
To: None <mikel@shore.net>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/1997 18:48:28
Mike Long wrote:

> It looks like what you're trying to do is use the same filename for
> two different files (patched and unpatched), which is a Bad Idea.

I don't ever want to use the unpatched version, it's just that it
happens to be in the same directory as other files that I have to pull
in with .PATH.

> >Is there any workaround, short of using a different filename in
> >/path/prog2 (my current solution)?
>
> You could add something like this to prog2/Makefile:

That's essentially what I'm doing... I changed SRCS in prog2 to use
x_src.c and generate it from /path/prog1/src.c.

Still, it seems like I should be able to just call it src.c, and get the
right version. It violates the principle of least supprise for make to
sometimes decide on dependancies as they're needed, and sometimes to
pre-eveluate them, which is what it seems like it's doing.

Of course, the ultimate solution is to just get my patches included in
prog1 so I don't have to mess with it :-)