Subject: Re: A how-to question for NIS
To: Kevin Tsang <tsang@promis.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/1997 18:35:33
On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Kevin Tsang wrote:

> Yes, I've done all that, but the problem is with (I think) the home
> directory not existing on that machine.  Obviously if I nfs mount the
> actual directory from (the HP-UX) box, the NetBSD box will complain:
> ... iruserok failed (bad .rhosts owner)
> since it cannot find gecos field in the right place on yp.

	This sounds odd - YP under NetBSD should just use the 'old' form
	password entries fine. Could you send me a copy of the password
	file from NetBSD & what you are using on the HP box ('*' out any
	passwords that may be present!), plus an 'ls -la' of the HP
	home directory (form both machines).
	It sounds like a uid mismatch somehow.

> Also if I don't mount the home directory, then I just get:
> ...iruserok failed
>
> Is there a way I could let yp users log into the NetBSD box without having
> a local home directory?

	This is login without needing a password (via rsh)?

	That could be satisfied by putting the remote machines in
	/etc/hosts.equiv :)

		David/abs

  Things to regret not having after transferring 'beans' between two beanbags
    #1 : A vacuum cleaner
    #2 : A floor the same colour as the beans
    #3 : More beans