Subject: Re: A how-to question for NIS
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Kevin Tsang <tsang@promis.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/1997 13:52:01
Yes, I've done all that, but the problem is with (I think) the home
directory not existing on that machine.  Obviously if I nfs mount the
actual directory from (the HP-UX) box, the NetBSD box will complain:
... iruserok failed (bad .rhosts owner)
since it cannot find gecos field in the right place on yp.

Also if I don't mount the home directory, then I just get:
...iruserok failed

Is there a way I could let yp users log into the NetBSD box without having
a local home directory?

Kevin

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:49:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
> To: Kevin Tsang <Kevin_Tsang@promis.com>
> Cc: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: A how-to question for NIS
>
> 	It 'Just Works':
> 	Set the list of servers in /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers,
> 	set the domainname and enable ypbind in /etc/rc.conf, and use
> 	vipw to add +::::::::: to the password file.
>
> 	(I just did this and bound to an SGI ypserver over ppp - not
> 	recommended except as a test :)
>
> 		David/abs
>
>       ( Looks like one more recorded case of spontaneous frustration )
>
> On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Kevin Tsang wrote:
> >
> > How do I make a YP client on a NetBSD 1.2G box work with a YP server on
> > SunOS 4.1.4?  The passwd files are in different formats.  (The one on the
> > Sun has no class, change or expire fields.)
> >
> > Kevin

Kevin Tsang
Technical Analyst
Promis Systems Corp.