Subject: Re: error building tk
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@law.roc.servtech.com>
From: <>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/15/1997 22:56:20
>> >Trying to make tcl/tk out of the package system was going well until =
here:
>> >ld: Global Offset Table overflow (use `-fPIC')
>> >ld: tkCanvPs.o: GOT overflow for relocation at 0x8c0
>> >Adding -fPIC to the ld options produced invalid command option '-fPIC'
>>=20
>> you need to add -fPIC to the CFLAGS fed to gcc (and - groan - recompile =
all the .o).  i'm surprised ./configure --enable-shared didn't do that.

>It's especially surprising since this is from the pkg system, and the =
patches should make it build ok, no?

i wouldn't know; i almost always build straight from the source, i was =
assuming that's what you were doing.
i will say, that i've built almost every version since tk 3.2 or so, and =
it's about the easiest thing to build yourself i've ever seen.  you =
probably need no more than=20
	./configure --prefix=3Dwhereyouwanttoinstallit --enable-shared
	make
	make install
get the original 8.0p1 from somewhere on <URL:http://sunscript.sun.com/> =
and go from there.  ('t least, that's my advise :)

--
Hume dot Smith at Dess dot Tallships dot IStar dot CA
<URL:http://dess.tallships.istar.ca/%7Ehclsmith/>

So what's so special about "head over heels", anyway?