Subject: Re: NetBSD in distributed environ?
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/1997 14:44:20
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:36:20 -0800
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > Has anyone ever used NetBSD in a distributed environment?
 > Imagine 100 Pentium II machines NetBSD+PVM (or something
 > else). Does NetBSD support HiPPI, ATM, or other
 > highspeed network interfaces?

There's a project here that is using PCs in a cluster environemnt.
I've been sort of fighting to get them to use NetBSD, but I'm not
really involved in the project, so :-)

Anyhow, NetBSD+PVM or NetBSD+MPI should be very feasible.  ATM is
currently supported by NetBSD (although, it only works with PVCs)..
it works with Efficient Networks, Inc. ENI-155 and Adaptec ATM cards.

Kevin Lahey has written a Hippi subsystem for the NetBSD network
stack, and a driver for the Essential Communications Roadrunner
Hippi interface (the Roadrunner is also used in gigabit ethernet
interfaces).  The driver won't be in 1.3, but will hopefully
be available shortly thereafter.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935