Subject: Re: Sound
To: None <skeezix@acm.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/31/1997 03:11:44
> 	I need to find out about programming for sound under NetBSD,
> FreeBSD and Linux, for an emulation project. Where can I find out about
> it?
>
> 	(ie: Under DOS, one requests an interrupt when the SoundBastard
> needs more DMA buffer filling. Can we set up a signal under NetBSD, or do
> we need to fortk off a child and have it fire over the data into
> /dev/audio?)

Read the audio(4) man page.  There are several ways of doing sound, the
easiest is just to write to /dev/audio.  If you need interrupts you can
request to get SIGIO when there is buffer space available.  Or use select().
Or (if you want to be daring :-) mmap() the buffer.

NetBSD also supports the OSS (aka Linux) API through the ossaudio library.

        -- Lennart