Subject: Re: ST32430N with 1024 byte blocks???
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/1997 12:37:41
> William O Ferry happened to mention:
> >
> > Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.netbsd-help: 12-Oct-97 Re:
> > ST32430N with 1024 byte.. by Dave Huang@bga.com
> > > I'm no expert on this, but from what I understand, NetBSD has problems
> > > with block sizes other than 512 bytes. You should be able to do a low

Look at PRs kern/3790,kern/3791 and kern/3792 by Koji Imada,
these are 3 variants of non-512 bytes/sector media support.

> > > level format and reformat it with 512 byte blocks though. (But I don't
> > > know exactly how... some mode page settings, I think).
> >
> >     If anybody can give me directions on how to do this I'd really
> > appreciate it.  I wasn't aware that low-level formatting could change
> > the blocksize, and the only utility I have (the DOS one that came with
> > my i386 controller) doesn't seem capable of changing the blocksize.  Is
> > there a low-level formatter for NetBSD?

> Not yet (unless someone wants to pleasantly surprise me).  It is high on

ftp://ftp.mono.org/pub/sdd - sdd enables you to format, verify, and map out
bad blocks on a disk and "scsi" utility
( http://shad.morningstar.com/~laine/scsi-netbsd.tar.gz ) should allow you
to set sector size before formatting (mode page 3).
I have not tried this presonally though.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,