Subject: Any suggestions for a laptop to buy???
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allan E. Strand <astrand@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/1997 11:21:05
Hi All,

I've been running NetBSD for several years now on a series of desktop
i386 type machines and I like it.  Currently I run 1.2.1 (and X11) on
a P133, 64M RAM, 2.1 gig drive..plus tape backup system.

I am moving to a new job in a couple of months and my new employer
will provide $2000 towards the purchase of a new computer.  Since my
current desktop machine will move with me I'm considering what new
machine to buy.  I have the idea that I'd like to buy a laptop that I
could move from office to lab (both ethernetted) as well as take home
and into the field (I'm a botanist so the field might include: fields
:), biological field research stations, hotel rooms...). More than 90%
of the use would be home/lab however.  This computer would need to
have a full NetBSD installation (although no source would be ok, I
guess) including X, emacs, teTeX and some disk space to expand into.
Also, I'd need Ethernet-ability.

The $2K is "free money"; I also have start-up funds that would provide
supplementary funds for this purchase.  I would like to minimize the
use of these funds since they are needed for lab equipment and the
like.

Any suggestions on a brand/model of machine would be greatly
appreciated, preferably one that someone is currently using in a
similar manner.

--
Allan E. Strand                Internet:   astrand@evolution.nmsu.edu
Department of Biology