Subject: Minimum machine for IP-NAT?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/19/1997 17:38:35
Hi everyone,

My local phone company is introducing an internet service similar to a
cable modem.  The line is supposed to be 2 megs/sec and I can plug the
modem directly into my ethernet hub.  I have a local network of 4 machines
and I'd like for all of them to be able to get to the outside world (I'm
going to ask for 4 IP addresses when I sign up, but I'm not counting on it).

What I'm wondering, is what would be the minimum machine necessary to
handle such a task?  I don't care if it's a Intel, Macintosh, Sparc, or
what, as long as it is up to the task.  I need something cheap.  One of the
machines on my network is a Mac IIcx running NetBSD 1.2.1, but I'm pretty
sure it's not fast enough to handle everything.

If anyone has any advice on what kind of machine to get, I'd really
appreciate it.  (Please, no replies like "Don't get a Mac, get a PC".. I
really don't care what the type of machine is as long as it runs NetBSD and
is powerful enough to do what I need, and can get obtained for a good
price).

Thanks,

 -Christian

| Christian Taylor.................http://dragon.acadiau.ca/~chtaylor/ |
| HelpDesk Consultant                work: christian.taylor@acadiau.ca |
| User Support Centre                home: ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca         |
| Acadia University                 Phone: (902) 542-4357              |
| Wolfville, NS  B0P 1X0                                               |