Subject: RE: need a multi-disk boot manager
To: 'blymn@baea.com.au' <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: David Christiansen (NT) <davidchr@microsoft.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/1997 09:52:58
	You can use the NT loader for this.  There is a freeware program
called BOOTPART that you can use to make an entry in your BOOT.INI that
points to a file containing the correct bootsector information.  It
works very well with NetBSD.  Do an altavista or lycos search for
BOOTPART-- it's pretty easy to find, just... well, read ALL the
documentation before you do it. :-)

	If you go from a floppy, YMMV.  I boot from a 10 or 20 Mb DOS
partition with my NT Boot.ini and whatever files are required for Win9x,
etc.  Whatever still needs to be on drive C:.  NT is smart enough to
load from another disk, and my NetBSD / partition is on the same drive.

	Note: I haven't actually TRIED having my "/" partition on
another physical disk, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

	You can also, if your BIOS is smart (or convenient) enough, you
could just install NT on an IDE drive, then turn the drive off and on as
you please at boot time.  I did this in the days before I discovered
OS-BS.  :-)