Subject: Re: Creating account and adding new users.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/1997 08:47:19
On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:03:14 -0600  Herb Peyerl wrote:

> Lots of people have written 'adduser' scripts but invariably, they all end
> up being highly specific to their style of administering a system.  I doubt
> one could come up with a single 'adduser' that everyone would be happy with
> which is why this sort of thing is, in my opinion, best left with the
> present method...

What about something based on, say, the Solaris user{add,del,mod}
commands?  These do nothing more that modify the password file and
create a home directory if asked (and group file for the group*
commands) without dictating policy.  I haven't looked myself, but I'd
guess that at least one of the adduser scripts is probably based on this
idea?

Simon.