Subject: Re: ST32430N with 1024 byte blocks???
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/1997 11:14:30
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.netbsd-help: 12-Oct-97 Re:
ST32430N with 1024 byte.. by Dave Huang@bga.com
> I'm no expert on this, but from what I understand, NetBSD has problems
> with block sizes other than 512 bytes. You should be able to do a low
> level format and reformat it with 512 byte blocks though. (But I don't
> know exactly how... some mode page settings, I think).

    If anybody can give me directions on how to do this I'd really
appreciate it.  I wasn't aware that low-level formatting could change
the blocksize, and the only utility I have (the DOS one that came with
my i386 controller) doesn't seem capable of changing the blocksize.  Is
there a low-level formatter for NetBSD?  Any platforms NetBSD/i386 or
sparc (or pmax) emulates??  =)

    I really don't want to return this drive if it can be made useful,
but at the moment it's completely useless.

    Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Warp.RES.CMU.EDU
 http://light.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/ | talk:   finger for online status