Subject: Re: Creating account and adding new users.
To: Hume Smith <hume.smith@dess.tallships.istar.ca>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/1997 07:03:14
(Hume Smith) hume.smith@dess.tallships.istar.ca  wrote:
 > >	I read from the man pages that there's supposed to be a script
 > >called adduser to create new account account. I installed NetBSD-1.2.1 but
 > >somehow couldn't find that script.

  g it manually can be screwed up.  what *i* curse is documentation for non-existent programs; if you're not going to have the program, for *cksakes don't *cktease with a manpage!

Then you curse for no reason.  From the manpage:

-----
ADDUSER(8)              NetBSD System Manager's Manual              ADDUSER(8)

NAME
     adduser - procedure for adding new users

-----

You'll note it says "procedure for adding new users".  It's not a utility. It's
a procedure...

Lots of people have written 'adduser' scripts but invariably, they all end
up being highly specific to their style of administering a system.  I doubt
one could come up with a single 'adduser' that everyone would be happy with
which is why this sort of thing is, in my opinion, best left with the
present method...