Subject: Newbie needs help with ethernet card ifconfig setup.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Baw <baw@wuccrc.wustl.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/08/1997 18:08:17
Hello,

	This is my first time with NetBSD. I tried to use ifconfig to
setup my ethernet card, but get the following error:

	ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured.

	I've followed the Installation Notes for NetBSD/i386 1.2.1
faithfully from downloading floppy images, setting up file systems, etc.,
to the point where I hope to get my ethernet connection going to get the
rest of NetBSD. I'm using Intel's EtherExpress card, sitting on a PCI
slot, with an RJ45 connector. I've tried ed0, ed1, ep1, and ep0 to no
avail. Any help will be most appreciated.

The ifconfig command I used was as follow:

ifconfig <I_tried_ed0,ed1,ep1,ep0> <my_ip_address> netmask 255.255.255.0

	Best regards.

Baw