Subject: Re: ISA Adaptec SCSI 1542CF problems on '486
To: Leon Martin <martin@cobra.path.monash.edu.au>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/03/1997 14:05:45
In message <v01540b03b05a0eca71d1@[130.194.152.7]> you wrote:
>>dillema@acm.org happened to mention:
>>>

>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I recently bought a second-hand ISA Adaptec SCSI-controller, and
>
>>I am facing just the same problem with my 1542CF, trying to talk to

I more-or-less solved my problem by switching motherboards. I tried the
1542CF on another '486 MB and a '386 I had access to. Both work fine,
using same termination, cables, disks and card. So, my assumption is
that the original '486 I tried, may have some BIOS problems or whatever.
It still could be an interrupt problem, but somehow I doubt it. It's
a VLB motherboard (no PCI), and I checked (and double-checked) the
interrupt settings of all my cards. I also stripped the original
box from most other cards (like ISDN/SOUND/ETHER), and retried but
it didn't make a difference...

Well, I've swapped motherboards, which for a 386/486 is a low-cost solution
nowadays, so basically my problem is `solved'. Still curious about why the
original MB is problematic, but alas...

Thanks for all your tips,

Feico.