Subject: IP-NAT problem - out of sync with kernel? And, networking stuff...
To: Port Mac 68K <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1997 17:15:03
Hi, all!

I've finally taken the plunge, and stopped using SLiRP. Now I'm using a
proper CSLIP connection between my Mac and my NetBSD box, which makes me
happy.

I'd like to start using IP-NAT to get out to the outside world, but I'm
experiencing technical difficulties, like so:

/root# ipnat -f /etc/nat.rules
open: No such file or directory
/root# ipnat -l
open: No such file or directory
/root# ipnat
open: No such file or directory

I'm guessing that there's something wrong here. One possibility is that
this is happening because I'm running a very new kernel - compiled Thu Sep
25 22:03:06 EDT 1997 - but my binaries are from the 07/10/1997 -current
snapshot. (I made sure that all the networking stuff was turned on when I
built the kernel, FWIW.)

I had hoped to avoid downloading a new set of binaries over my 14.4K modem
until 1.3 solidifies in December, but I'll do it sooner if it seems likely
that what I'm experiencing is an out-of-sync ifconfig binary. Alternately,
I wouldn't mind snagging the -current source for ifconfig and compiling a
newer version seperately.

Is there something I'm not seeing, or does it seem like I just need to sync
up my binaries?

On another note, what's up with sliplogin? I'm not sure precisely what it's
supposed to do for me... I ended up getting my SLIP connection going by
running slattach, ifconfig, and route manually, thus ignoring
/etc/sliphome/slip* entirely.

On still again another note, what's the canonical way to have such a link
established at boot time? Should I stuff slattach, ifconfig, and route into
the end of rc.local, or is there a prettier way to do it?

Here's how I'm doing it now, in case anyone sees anything horrible happening:

# we want hardware handshaking
slattach -h -s 19200 /dev/tty00
# automatically enable header compression
ifconfig sl0 inet 10.0.2.2 up link0
# add a non-default route to the Mac
route add -host 10.0.2.15 10.0.2.15

Thanks in advance for the advice!