Subject: Problems with union mounting
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/1997 18:47:51
    I've recently pushed things around on my machines, but the setup I
used to use doesn't seem to work, so I'm hoping somebody has a
suggestion on how to do this:

    In the past I've run NetBSD exclusively on an i386.  Now I also have
a SPARC Classic.  I moved all everything but the i386 binaries over to
the sparc, so that I can reboot the PC to windoze or whatever when I
need to.  But since the PC (PPro) is much faster than the SPARC, I would
still like to be able to do all of my compiling on the i386 box.  I
still need to figure out how to set up cross compiling, but that's not
my concern right now.  Right now I am just trying to be able to compile
NetBSD sources that are on the sparc.  In the past I've had two src
trees, one that comes direct from sup, and one that contains my changes,
merged via union mounts and maintained with a script I wrote.  It's
worked quite well for over a year, I'd like to stick with it (unless
somebody has a better suggestion..  =).

    Doing this union mount over NFS seems not to work.  The directories
are union mounted to /usr/src on the sparc, and everything is fine.  Yet
if I try to look at the sparc's /usr/src via NFS, it's empty.  If I NFS
mount the directories that make up the union mount and try to union
mount them together on the PC side, I get "mount_union: Operation not
supported".

    Is there some way to get NetBSD to export local mounts, such as
union mounts?  Or is there some way to get around mount_union's
complaint??

    Any suggestions (including a better way to keep my changes separated
from the NetBSD source) would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Warp.RES.CMU.EDU
 http://light.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/ | talk:   finger for online status