Subject: Newbie Question... Command Line History?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/1997 13:26:19
Hi! I'm curious... I can't figure out how to get command line history stuff
working on my machine. I'm running -current on a Mac, and 1.2.1 on an i386.

Using csh, ksh, and sh, the up arrow gives me:

^[[A

I don't get "arrow key" command-line history access either on the console
or while telnetted in. I don't think it's the telnet app on my Mac that's
the problem, though, as if I telnet out to another account, I can use arrow
key-based command line history there, THROUGH my NetBSD/mac68k system. Is
there an easy way to get this functionality? I don't *need* it, but it
would be a nice luxury. (Incidentally, the command-line history *is*
accessible through `history` and `!!` and all that good stuff, but I'd
prefer arrow keys!)

Another question: Is there any way to have a value reevaluated every time
it's read, in csh? I've seen this done in ksh and bash shell prompts, for
instance, to tell the user what directory is current, but I can't seem to
figure out how to do it in csh.

Thanks in advance for the help!

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us