Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax booting single-user
To: Doug Junkins <junkins@foghead.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/21/1997 17:10:10
I'm a couple of days late because I only catch up on this list every
now and then - you would probably have gotten a quicker answer on the
port-pmax list.  If you're using a pmax, you should really be on this
list.

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:09:21 -0700 (PDT)  Doug Junkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed NetBSD 1.2/pmax on a DecStation 5000/25 and seem to
> have everything working except that it refuses to boot directly into
> multi-user mode.  If I exit the single-user shell it continues to boot
> into multi-user mode without errors.  Am I missing something obvious?
>
> The boot messages are as follows:
>
> KN02-CA V2.0m    (PC: 0x800312a4, SP: 0xffffef40)

It looks like you're booting of rz3, so something like this at the
firmware prompt (the '>>' prompt when the machine is shutdown) should
work:

	>> setenv boot '3/rz3/netbsd -a'

The '-a' means "autoboot", and it needs to be inside the quotes.  The
default is to boot into single-user - I suspect the bootblocks are
passing the '-s' to init.

Simon.