Subject: Re: YP linux/netbsd problem
To: None <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/1997 23:27:19
>From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
>This is my first time using yp, and I must say, its rather cool.
>I thought I was going to have to copy our huge passwd file from peanuts
>to 5 other workstations everytime we added new users.
>
>Also, a lot of people groan when I say 'yp/nis and nfs.' Why is this?
>Is there an alternative?

NIS and NFS are complex systems and can provide lots of headaches if
one fails to read enough manuals or has a faulty implementation.
They also use protocols with freely available specifications and,
like Linux and the other freeware OS solutions, are frequently
disrespected by Microsoft drones.  Properly used, they are very cool.

Max