Subject: YP linux/netbsd problem
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/1997 22:26:07
Here's my setup.

Linux 1.2.13, 'peanuts', running ypserv, and nfs exporting
mail and home directories.

NetBSD-current 'deepthought' running ypbind, and mounting
everything from peanuts.

ypcat passwd works as expected.

The problem: I can log in just fine using yp, and so can a number
of other people. But, some cant! We thought it was password length,
but shortening the passwords didnt help (changed passwd on peanuts,
not using yppasswd - is that it? the slackware 1.2.13 dist
didnt have yppasswd).

The first user to bring this up is using # 700something. His
username shows up on a ypcat passwd, and I can finger him
at deepthought (which gets redirected to the yp server, peanuts).

Any thoughts?

This is my first time using yp, and I must say, its rather cool.
I thought I was going to have to copy our huge passwd file from peanuts
to 5 other workstations everytime we added new users.

Also, a lot of people groan when I say 'yp/nis and nfs.' Why is this?
Is there an alternative?

Thanx
	nate