Subject: Installing NetBSD/sparc from Solaris 2.6
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Perry <alanp@collabracare.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/08/1997 07:42:41
It has been a couple weeks since I asked a question, so ...

I am trying to install NetBSD/sparc 1.2.1 on a sun4c machine (I managed to
sneak
another Sun machine into the office) and all I have around it are Win NT/95
boxes
and a sparc running 2.6.

I booted the target machine off the 2.6 CD-ROM and repartitioned the disk,
newfs'ed
it and installed NetBSD.  I also used the 2.6 installboot to put bootxx
onto the disk.
However, this did not result in a bootable NetBSD disk.

I suspect a) the 2.6 ufs (with largefile support) may not be compatible
with NetBSD
and b) the 2.6 installboot may not do the right thing with bootxx for
NetBSD.

In the end, I just need to get NetBSD on the 4c box, but I would also like
understand what is going on.  Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

alan