Subject: Re: XFree86 and Emacs ^H Backspace problem.
To: None <msanders@aros.net>
From: Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/03/1997 23:10:39
On  3 Sep, Michael K. Sanders wrote:
> In message <199709030655.AAA05479@shell.aros.net>, "Michael K. Sanders" writes:
>>
>>I'm seeing a strange problem with ^H and Backspace in Emacs under X.
>>
>>I have the folling in my .emacs:
>>
>>(global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)
>>(global-set-key "\C-?" 'delete-char)
>
> To make the problem a little more clear, it boils down to the
> fact that Emacs seems to be getting DEL for both Backspace and Delete
> when run in a Frame under X, when it should be getting C-h for
> Backspace and DEL for Delete.

I'm pretty sure that under X Emacs pays attention to the X keysym
values, rather than the usual controll codes.  This is why it can use
Alt as a shifting Meta key.

I've always hated the way Emacs insists on \C-h for help, but it seems
to be fairly fundamental.  These days I leave it alone, and only ever
run it in its own window, never in an X-term.

I also seem to be using:

(global-set-key [delete]        'delete-char)
(global-set-key [home]          'beginning-of-line)
(global-set-key [end]           'end-of-line)

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson