Subject: XFree86 and Emacs ^H Backspace problem.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/03/1997 00:55:57
Hello;

I'm seeing a strange problem with ^H and Backspace in Emacs under X.

I have the folling in my .emacs:

(global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key "\C-?" 'delete-char)

This works as expected, except in X under NetBSD (it works fine
in an xterm with -nw, or under FreeBSD with XFree86 from their
packages repository).  In an Emacs frame under X, the backspace key
doesn't seem to generate a ^H, but only in certain modes.  In
Fundamental and Text modes, the backspace key performs a delete-char,
removing text to the right of the cursor.  The Delete key does the
same.  However, pressing C-h properly does a delete-backward-char.

Now it gets even more bizarre.  In Perl mode, the exact opposite
occurs.  Both Backspace and Delete perform delete-char.  C-h still
properly does delete-backward-char.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas as to why Emacs, and _only_
Emacs, _only_ in an X frame, doesn't seem to get a ^H when Backspace
is pressed?  But it _does_ generate ^H (for both Backspace and
Delete!) when in Perl mode?  I'm completely baffled.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Version information follows.

NetBSD utopia.confusion.net 1.2G NetBSD 1.2G (UTOPIA) #1: Fri Aug 29 02:22:31 MDT 1997     msanders@utopia.confusion.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/UTOPIA i386

XFree86 Version 3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: August 4 1997
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.2
Configured drivers:
  S3V: accelerated server for S3 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
      s3_ViRGE

GNU Emacs 19.34.2 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.2G, X toolkit) of Fri Aug 29 1997 on utopia.confusion.net