Subject: Re: uucp stuff...?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/1997 12:51:41
On 9/1/97 at 9:01 PM +0200, you wrote:

> Errm... Run qmail like netbsd.org and macbsd.com and me?

What, and admit defeat? Heh. It's not in my set of normal behaviours. But,
anyway, I seem to have (with lots of help!) tamed the beast, so there's
nothing more to worry about... Mostly. (I'm having timeout problems with
Eudora over SLiRP, but I'm going to try a different method tomorrow.)

> Originally, I had a ppp link to the
> outside world, a trustworthy SE/30 running NetBSD and TIS fwtk, and behind
> that a Quadra running MacOS and all the Internet client stuff

That's about what I'm running... I've got my Quadra hooked up to the NetBSD
box via SLiRP.

> As I understand it, it is not a trivial task to convince sendmail *not* to
> consult a name server when resolving an address.

It becomes trivial if you use m4. It's a matter of saying:

FEATURE(nodns)dnl

in your foo.mc file.

> Use TCP/IP locally and deliver all non-local mail via uucp.

The missing piece here was defining a smart host. Here's my complete .mc
file, based almost without modification on a file sent to me by Ari
Rubenstein:

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)acheron.mc       1.0 (Mason) 08/30/1997')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
FEATURE(nodns)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(mailertable, hash /etc/mailertable)dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', `uucp-dom:provider')dnl
Cwacheron.middleboro.ma.us
MASQUERADE_AS(`acheron.middleboro.ma.us')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(uucp)dnl

> You realize that NetBSD comes packaged with with Taylor UUCP somewhere in
> /usr/bin?

It wasn't the latest version, I don't think... At least, I couldn't find
version information, and I'm not sure what default directories were
compiled in. Also, NetBSD seems to come with a non-current sendmail. Just
for kicks, I compiled and installed sendmail 8.8.7. It went in without any
difficulty whatsoever.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();