Subject: Re: Help!!!!!
To: Nauris Ozolinsh <ziedonis.velbre@mbox304.swipnet.se>
From: None <jduncan@papyrus-inc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/1997 08:01:37

> Well I4m using 486 DX4 motherboard with 100 intel procesor I have 16 Ram
> All was doing just fine untill the cpu asked me for "Kernel Installation"
> disk.
> The disk which was supposed to write the data on my hard drive so I could
> boot
> from it.
>
>         Ozolinsh

NetBSD/i386 uses two floppies to get started, making it different
from FreeBSD and Linux for the install. (This is not nearly the
only noticible difference.)

Anyhow, there are two floppy images that every NetBSD/i386 installer
needs to get, and they are inst121.fs and kc???121.fs. If you
have an adaptec scsi card that starts your main disk, you will want
to get kcadp121.fs, which contains adaptec drivers. If you don't have
a scsi card or you use a different variety, use kcoth121.fs.

Use rawrite.exe to put whichever file you need onto a floppy, and
swap the inst121 floppy for the kernel floppy when it
asks you to do so. (or is it the other way around...)

Irregardless, you need two floppies. And I think that's your problem.

Be sure that you gain the specs of your disk before netbsd loads.
The first time I installed it, I spent a few hours getting to a point,
forgetting what I needed, restarting, etc.

Have fun. NetBSD is kinda cool.

-John