Subject: Re: problems running IPNAT
To: None <prlw1@cam.ac.uk, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Brandle <Stefan.Brandle@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/1997 14:38:25
Dear NetBSD'ers:

>Stefan Brandle wrote:
>> Is there some better documentation on ipnat? For instance, the
[...]
Patrick Welche pointed me towards some helpful documentation and I have ipnat
running. Thanks.

However (you knew there was a however!), I don't have it doing what I want.
Here's the situation: IANA is repossessing a bunch of network numbers from
our Internet provider, who consequently is giving us a new set of class C
numbers. We are moving to a switched environment and would like all our
machines to be able to talk directly to each other, i.e. we need to convince
them that they are indeed on the same network and can talk to each other.
I don't want them bouncing through a router on the side (router on a stick?)
in order to speak to each other. A number of machines do not support CIDR
supernetting, so I can't persuade them that the set of 16 class C's are really
one happy family. I really tried and it appears to be a lost cause.

So I came up with the idea of switching to the 10.x.x.x solution and then
doing static bidirectional translation of ip addresses on the way out of our
switch cloud. I really want (at present anyway) a connection from the inside
to the outside to produce the same mapping as a connection from the outside
to the inside.

The "bimap" listed in the source for ipnat(1) got me excited, but it doesn't
seem to do what I want (and map doesn't even hint at doing that).

The question: can I do this with ipnat & co? Is there some other solution to
my problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

-- sb
Stefan Brandle  |  (630) 752-5201  |  stefan@wheaton.edu  |  Wheaton College IL