Subject: Re: HP Vectra
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu, ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Patrick Arnoux <parnoux@orli.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/1997 13:51:48
Wolfgang Solfrank writes

> > I am somewhat under the impression that fdisk is a rather DOS centric concept
> > and is not a needful thing for any other port but for the 386. Forcing its
> > use might not be such a good idea. And of course, disklabel in its present
> > incarnation will only create a DOS partition table if one is not already defined.
>
> Hmm, at least powerpc machines conforming to PReP or CHRP/PPCP are required to
> at least support the fdisk partitioning scheme.  And if you want to run
> multiple OSs on such machines, you are more or less required to use it.

I did'nt know about that. Thanks.

Is the assumption made by disklabel, that the drive is not being shared, valid?.

And does come down to a choice of; does FDISK partitioning become a menu item in
the "format" interface, or does it depend on which platform the drive is being
set up for and automaticaly create an FDISK part.?

Cio
Patrick Arnoux