Subject: Re: HP Vectra
To: None <ckane@mipos2.intel.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/22/1997 15:12:40
>I could never get a Vectra Xu 6/200 to load NetBSD from the hard disk.
>The best I could do is boot from floppy and have the floppy boot blocks
>boot the scsi disk by default.  I do not know why this doesn't work.

I finally got my HP Vectra Xa to boot from the hard disk.  It has to
do with using /sbin/fdisk and making sure NetBSD uses only the disk
starting at "Cylinder 0, Head 1, Sector 1".  i.e. NetBSD can not use
any space on the first track.  Once I did that, I got NetBSD to install
and have the BIOS boot from the hard disk.

This is what I did:  (Using NetBSD-1.2G snapshot.)

a) boot, select shell

b) run fdisk, set up the proper NetBSD "BIOS" partition, starting
	at "Cylinder 0, Head 1, Sector 1" and make sure it was
	big enough to cover all of the root file system.

c) Run NetBSD install, and make sure it used the dist starting ONLY
	at the proper sector.

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           LPF: http://www.lpf.org