Subject: Re: SCSI problems or DUMP ?
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/1997 17:40:35
On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Brett Lymn wrote:

> One thing you should do is check that you have parity checking on on
> all the scsi devices - that may catch something.  Also make sure that
> you have no unterminated stubs (as someone else advised...), when I
> read your original message again it sounds like you have terminated
> the scsi cable just short of the end of the physical cable - this is
> not good.

The hard disc was doing the terminating and was connected to an IDC
connector right on the end of the cable. ANy stub after that would be
excess IDC cable past the crimp point no more than 1mm i.e. half the
width of the IDC connector.

With this same setup but with the harddisk not terminting the cable
the problem went away this is the opposite of what I expected.

>  At the speeds that even plain ole SCSI runs the cable is a
> transmission line where unterminated stubs can cause all sorts of
> havoc like signals bouncing off the end of the cable and munging the
> perceived signal at the termination.

Which is what I'd expect without termiantion not with it.

--Sean