Subject: Re: SCSI problems or DUMP ?
To: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/1997 12:24:31
According to Sean Witham:

>Any help or advice on varioous hardware checks and software checks
>would be of use. I'm goign to get some passive and active through
>terminators as try them instead of the drive termination. Thing seem
>to work when I turn the termiantion off on segate drive. The dat
>drive has no termination ability so I can't use that instead.

One thing you should do is check that you have parity checking on on
all the scsi devices - that may catch something.  Also make sure that
you have no unterminated stubs (as someone else advised...), when I
read your original message again it sounds like you have terminated
the scsi cable just short of the end of the physical cable - this is
not good.  At the speeds that even plain ole SCSI runs the cable is a
transmission line where unterminated stubs can cause all sorts of
havoc like signals bouncing off the end of the cable and munging the
perceived signal at the termination.

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P