Subject: Re Re: Q: Is ther a compressed filesystem?
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1997 20:09:11
The problem comes up in my mind exactly because it takes me so
long on a hp425t/25Mhz with 24MB memory just to un-tar
these huge tar-files.

But as you said the linearity could be usefull as well!

The tar-file is analysed of its contens once and then the driver
remembers the starting points and locations of all these files.

The TAR-filesystem could be mounted in a union kind of manner so that new or
changed files are placed at first external of the tar file.
Only if one disconnects the tar file with a special option there would
be a refresh, ohterwhise the tar file is left as it was.

        Bye   Brusi

            by           E-Mail: ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de
                         Tel.-priv: 0351-8499347 (Germany/Dresden)
          \____