Subject: Q: Is ther a compressed filesystem?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1997 19:18:23
One question comes up when I untar all these huge source distributions:

Can tar files be accessed directly as a kind of filesystems?

I mean source files for a user that likes to compile something are just
needed for the compile process and are a waste of space after the binaries
are build. The uncompressed source files consume quite a bit of filesystem
space.
I know the concept of a compressed filesystem from the PC-DOS world but
believe that this is not a bad thing to have also for unix.

Is there a compressed filesystem for unix available?
So that a compile process just acts inside of a tar file or so.

Thanks for some sugestions.

        Bye   Brusi

            by           E-Mail: ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de
                         Tel.-priv: 0351-8499347 (Germany/Dresden)
          \____