Subject: Re: nroff 'ms' macros broken?
To: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
From: J.D.Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/26/1997 15:59:50
> As far as I can tell, the nroff 'ms' macros in NetBSD are broken.
> (I have checked versions 1.1 and 1.2.1).

I haven't looked at the 'ms' macros, but when I use the 'me' macros, I
always get :

	/usr/share/tmac/tmac.e:1082: a newline character is not allowed
		in an escape name

This seems to play havoc with footnotes.  I've started trying to track
this down, but (at the moment) I know very little about *roff.  I wonder
if groff is slightly incompatibile with the version of *roff that the
macros were written for.

What error messages are generated?

PS.  Does anyone know a good source for learning about *roff?