Subject: Re: A loss for NetBSD
To: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/25/1997 23:46:28
>I tried. I really did. NetBSD had an opportunity to be used as an OS on 32
>compute and NFS servers in our research facility, which serves commercial and
>government contracts.
>
>But I kept running into limits that are both archaic and arcane.
>
>The jobs we run require one process to be able to take up just about everything
>left on the machine, with memory allocation to easily be 400 megs and more. But
>the apparent process limit is 256 Megs.
>
>The number of partitions available on a single disk is limiting, as we wanted
>to install a 200 gig raid with partition sizes of about 10 gigs, more or less.
>
>When I asked about these questions, I never got answers. The only person who
>wrote back to me about the partition question was someone from the OpenBSD
>group. He pointed out that OpenBSD had taken care of this.

i, at least, gave you some sort of answer about the partition one.
while i don't really understand the need to a perfectly good 200 gig
"disk" being broken up into as many partitions as it can of about 10
gigs apiece (why?  please explain? :), i suggested that you could do
this using vnd's.  it's kinda hackish, but it woulda got it done.

>I tried to figure it out myself, by looking at the code and reading the
>O'Reilly BSD books about configuration, but the code has diverged from the book
>enough that the book wasn't too useful.

those books (i'm assuming you're referring to the five book set) refer
to 4.4bsd-lite1, which is at this point, far removed from just about
all bsd's on the "market".  probably bsdi would be the closest at this
point, although they've done their fair share of divergence.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet