Subject: Re: Netscape not deleting messages on POP server
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/11/1997 09:36:51
Hi,

I agree with Scott that if you need to have users leave mail on the
server, then it is much better to use IMAP.  There are several IMAP
clients available for Windows and Macintosh.  I know about Mail Drop which
is a popular IMAP client for the Macintosh.  There seem to be a few
different ones for Windows, but I don't know anything about them.  You cna
find them easily by doing a search for "IMAP" at

http://www.shareware.com/

There is also PC Pine for DOS.  Since "Net Computers" and "Diskless Java
Stations" seem to be the big thing, IMAP is making a comeback.  It was
originally created for accessing e-mail from terminals.

Mark

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> For the reasons noted, I'd agree that leaving the mail on the server using
> POP isn't a very good idea.  However, some environments benefit greatly by
> using this approach with IMAP; the next Navigator release will apparently
> support this.  I haven't checked, yet, but I'm excited about the
> possibility.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/