Subject: Re: silly things with vnd
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/1997 10:07:33
Klaus Klein wrote:

> You can't configure a ccd(4) (or anything else that requires the
> underlying device to deal with disklabels) on vnd(4)s because the
> vnd(4) pseudo-device does not support disklabels (yet).

While we are on disklabels and vnd, could someone please shed some
light on the following (i386):

Why might I get
# disklabel -w fd0 floppy
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Input/output error
(I seem to remember having been able to read the disklabel off an
ftp'd install floppy)

What is the difference between using disklabel and installboot to get
boot blocks onto a floppy? I note that the diskimage generated in eg
src/distrib/i386/floppies/kc uses disklabel, but then will not (for me
anyway) boot a compressed kernel, yet when using Matthias Drochner's
installboot-970407 the floppy created will. (Also the inst floppy in
i386/floppies doesn't seem to fit in 1.2Mb anymore - not a problem if
you use 1.44Mb floppies, but it did mean I had to discover the
existence of vnd.:) I thought that either way the same boot blocks
would be written.

Any instruction greatfully received!

 Patrick