Subject: Re: Why no outside access from NetBSD-Sun3 1.2?
To: Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 <jworrell@nunic.nu.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/1997 07:00:14
Hi,

Since the reason you can't connect to the remote host is "Permission
denied", my guess is that some filtering is going on in the remote network
to deny telnets from "unknown" locations.  For example, it is very easy to
only allow telnet connections within a certain IP block, etc.  This is a
common function of firewalls.

Mark

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Jeremy D. Worrells - 4097358 wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I have a Sun 3/60 running NetBSD/Sun3 1.2. I can rlogin, telnet, ftp, etc.
> within my own network, but when I try and go outside, I cannot get anywhere.
>
> Example:
>
> & telnet nunic.nu.edu
> Trying 198.17.145.1...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied
>
> I can ping this host though.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!