Subject: Re: Partitions > 8, 200 Gig RAID?
To: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/1997 15:00:14
>Here's my problem. My work is purchasing a RAID of size about 200Gig, which
>we want to try running with NetBSD. For various reasons, my boss would like to
>have 15 or 20 partitions. As far as the machine is concerned, it would probably
>see one huge disk.
>My initial guess is that you should be able to up the MAXPARTITIONS macro, and
>then recompile kernel, disklabel and maybe one or two other things that have
>any reason to get that granular with the disks.

i have a nasty, nasty hack you could use that would accomplish more or
less the same thing.  ;)

make yourself the normal a,b,c,d,e,f,g partitions as you would want
them, and then make the last partition the rest of the disk (probably
almost 200gig left over, yes?).  on this partition you make a number
of arbitrarily sized empty files (files with zeroes) but with the disk
space actually allocated.

then, add lots of vnd's to your kernel and mount 'em up.  then you'll
have to add something to /etc/rc around the place where it does the
ccdconfig so that normal bootstrap can mount them up...

ick!  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet