Subject: Partitions > 8, 200 Gig RAID?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/29/1997 21:48:33
Here's an interesting one:
Is there a way to raise the number of allowable partitions for a given disk?

Here's my problem. My work is purchasing a RAID of size about 200Gig, which
we want to try running with NetBSD. For various reasons, my boss would like to
have 15 or 20 partitions. As far as the machine is concerned, it would probably
see one huge disk.

(No, I don't have confirmation on that. We don't have the raid yet.)

My initial guess is that you should be able to up the MAXPARTITIONS macro, and
then recompile kernel, disklabel and maybe one or two other things that have
any reason to get that granular with the disks.

Let me know please. This could be the start of a large NFS server farm for an
established research unit where I work.
---
-####------------> Nipple!, Is qui iacit in hamas marsupiales.  | Melior
 ####  Rev. Irreverend Hacksaw, Omnibenevalent Polyparrot (ULC) | amans
 ####            http://www.channel1.com/users/hacksaw/         |  per
 #### <-- Tartan of the ScotchBrite Masons (Are you two of us?) | chemia