Subject: Re: PPP into ISP
To: None <will.stoltenberg@msc.net>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/29/1997 17:17:11
>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:09:48 -0500
>From: will.stoltenberg@msc.net (Will Stoltenberg)
>
>I'm attempting to get my NetBSD box to dial into my ISP.  However, the
>chat script always fails.  I've connected to the ISP modems with a
>terminal program to try to discover the correct chat procedure, but I do
>not get anything from the modems, nor does anything I type draw any
>response.  Is there some sort of magic sequence that has to be entered
>before it will respond?  I've tried user <username> and about anything
>else I could think of, but no cigar.

Usually sending a newline or two is sufficient to let the ISP's
terminal server autobaud.

>	I thought there used to be an option to chat that would allow you to
>watch the expect-script in action.  I thought it was chat -x, but that
>option isn't recognized.

chat -v.  See chat(8).  Note that you will have to modify your
syslog.conf, because chat(8) syslogs debug output to the local2
facility.

>	The ISP service has been less than helpful in my attempts at debugging
>this problem.  Is there anything specific I could ask them to help
>narrow down the problem?

If they won't help you, vote with your wallet and go elsewhere.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel