Subject: Re: FAST Sync Serial cards
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/1997 13:49:51
alex@vsys.com (Alex Barclay) writes:
> If you can't think of a good card then do any of you know of any good
> serial controllers that can do this. I looked at a 8530 and it seems
> to max out at about 2MBit with a 16MHz clock. What I mean here is that
> the hdlc cct can run that fast but it leaves precious little time for
> the bus interface to get the data into the host CPU.

The best serial controller, in my opionion, is a quad-SCC chip with
built-in DMA called the 68360.  It comes in various versions, one of
the versions has an added mode for one of the SCCs that allows it to
run as a full-duplex ethernet controller (10Mbps).  The chip does
buffer chaining DMA's into main memory for all SCC channels, and it
also has all the glue logic to drive and refresh drams if one chooses
to add a bit of buffering on-card.  The chip also has some type of CPU
on it, but you can ignore it.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/