Subject: Q: HOWTO use 'yp'
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/1997 15:37:16
I belive that 'yp' is used to manage consistency of user passwords
in a distributed unix environment, i.e. if I change my password
on any machine belonging to this 'yp'-domain it is known in the
whole domain.

So of what use is 'yp' on a stand-allone system?
What other features/informations provides yp?

And how do I setup yp on a stand/alone system (maybe I add a
diskless workstation and then a running yp would be O.K.)?

My first attempt was that I just added "MYNAME" to a file
called "MYDOMAIN".ypservers in /var/yp/bindings.

But this probably just specifies a name of an ypserver and
does not setup the server.

Furthermore, can I build my own domains with yp or do domains
have to be specified somwhere outside of my local system?
(My systems are living in a university network with its
 domainnamesB ..)

        Bye   Brusi

            by           ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de

          \_____