Subject: Re: X Windows under netbsd...getting started
To: a.e.nelson <aen1575@silver.sdsmt.edu>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1997 22:49:02
Hi Tony,
It is working properly.  The X server by itself doesn't do much.  What X
distribution are you using?  You should have a startx command in
/usr/X11R6/bin.  Once the X server is running (which you've done - which
is really the hardest part), you have to run clients - do something in
your new graphical display.  startx normally sets up some stuff, starts a
window manager (so you control windows and start new programs) and starts
an xterm.

If you've got access to antother console you can probably start some stuff
manually like this (sh/bash):
export DISPLAY=:0.0
twm
xterm
but the proper way to do it is to have startx call xinit to do everything
for you...

Rick

On Wed, 21 May 1997, a.e.nelson wrote:

> Now that I've gotten NetBSD to work fairly well (I'm just trying things out
> for fun), I'm trying to get X to work.  In my /usr/X11R6/bin directory,
> I've tried launching X with the ./X command.  When I do this, I get to a
> grey screen, with an X mouse cursor.  Nothing else happens though.  As far
> as I understand, this problem could be one of two things:
>
> 1.  I don't have enough RAM.  I'm working on getting more, but I just
> thought I'd see if I could get X to work.
>
> 2.  I started X incorrectly.  I've noticed the FAQ file suggests using the
> startx command.  however, I couldn't get this command to work.  It's not in
> any X directory I could see.  I also tried xinit, but that didn't work
> either.
>
> Any help or guidance is appreciated.  I'm reading several books on UNIX,
> since this is all fairly new to me, and I've read the FAQ file, but I can't
> find what I'm looking for.
>
> thanks
> tony nelson

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/