Subject: X Windows under netbsd...getting started
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: a.e.nelson <aen1575@silver.sdsmt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1997 16:40:44
Now that I've gotten NetBSD to work fairly well (I'm just trying things out
for fun), I'm trying to get X to work.  In my /usr/X11R6/bin directory,
I've tried launching X with the ./X command.  When I do this, I get to a
grey screen, with an X mouse cursor.  Nothing else happens though.  As far
as I understand, this problem could be one of two things:

1.  I don't have enough RAM.  I'm working on getting more, but I just
thought I'd see if I could get X to work.

2.  I started X incorrectly.  I've noticed the FAQ file suggests using the
startx command.  however, I couldn't get this command to work.  It's not in
any X directory I could see.  I also tried xinit, but that didn't work
either.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.  I'm reading several books on UNIX,
since this is all fairly new to me, and I've read the FAQ file, but I can't
find what I'm looking for.

thanks
tony nelson