Subject: Re: IP Masquerading
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1997 12:24:45
On Wed, 21 May 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

>             e) On the dual homed host create an /etc/ipnat.conf file:
>                map ppp0 10.0.0.0/8 -> X.X.X.X/32 portmap tcp/udp
> 	       10000:20000
>                    (Where X.X.X.X is the address of your ppp0 interface,)
>             f) On dual attached host ipnat -f /etc/ipnat.conf.
>
>         Then just bring up the ppp link as normal, and try to telnet out
>         or web browse from another machine.
>
>         I use my with demand dialing, so telnetting from an internal
>         machine will bring the link up automatically :)

warning, will robinson!  danger!  danger!

last time i checked, this pretty much assumes that you have a static ip
address assigned (particularly ipnat and in some cases, demand-dial ppp).
dynamic addresses are somewhat trickier, and you may need to do some
hoop-jumping to get ipnat configured for the proper address.

myself, i just punted on nat/ipmasq, since it's really only useful for a
limited set of things... i.e. not realaudio :-)

--scott