Subject: Re: Large IDE hard drives..
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/21/1997 07:54:39
Hi,

> You can use the "send-pr" command to send in a bug report.  However, I'm
> not sure what would happen if you did use the other values.  I figure it's
> best to use the BIOS values, but from what I understand, NetBSD just
> accesses the disk as a long array of sectors, so it might (should) work
> with the other parameters as well...

Well, I've tried it, but in my case (a 1.2 Gb WD E-IDE drive) it cost me my
old partition info and all data on the disk. It just didn't work that way
with the 1.1 version I used. So be sure there is no important data on the disk
that isn't backupped somewhere... (which is a good idea anyway ;-) )

> Rick
>
> On Tue, 20 May 1997, Will Stoltenberg wrote:
>
> > > You should use the 128 heads one.  The drive acts as if it has 16 heads,
> > > but the bios translates that into 128 heads when using LBA mode because
> > > dos can't handle more than 1024 cylinders.
> >
> > 	Thank you.  Who should I notify to request a change in the INSTALL.TXT
> > file?  The recommendation Rick gives here is only mentioned once as a
> > warning.  Using actual disk params (what the kernel reports) is
> > mentioned too many times and with too much emphasis for comfort (or
> > clarity).
> >
> > 	Will

				Elmar

--
Terror : Appropriate reaction after considering the terrain
				Henry Beard & Roy McKie, A skiers dictionary