Subject: Re: Large IDE hard drives..
To: Will Stoltenberg <will.stoltenberg@msc.net>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1997 19:46:38
You can use the "send-pr" command to send in a bug report.  However, I'm
not sure what would happen if you did use the other values.  I figure it's
best to use the BIOS values, but from what I understand, NetBSD just
accesses the disk as a long array of sectors, so it might (should) work
with the other parameters as well...

Rick

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Will Stoltenberg wrote:

> > You should use the 128 heads one.  The drive acts as if it has 16 heads,
> > but the bios translates that into 128 heads when using LBA mode because
> > dos can't handle more than 1024 cylinders.
>
> 	Thank you.  Who should I notify to request a change in the INSTALL.TXT
> file?  The recommendation Rick gives here is only mentioned once as a
> warning.  Using actual disk params (what the kernel reports) is
> mentioned too many times and with too much emphasis for comfort (or
> clarity).
>
> 	Will

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/