Subject: Re: Large IDE hard drives..
To: Will Stoltenberg <will.stoltenberg@msc.net>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1997 17:18:10
You should use the 128 heads one.  The drive acts as if it has 16 heads,
but the bios translates that into 128 heads when using LBA mode because
dos can't handle more than 1024 cylinders.

	Rick

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Will Stoltenberg wrote:

> When I use pfdisk to display partition information, I get one disk
> geometry, 766 cyl, 128 hds, 63 sect.  When I look at my BIOS or the boot
> message of the kernel installation floppy, I get a different geometry:
> 6163 cyl, 16 hds, 63 sect.  Which do I give the installation program
> when I am setting up NetBSD partitions?  The install.txt says in one
> place that I want to make sure to use the geometries that DOS sees, and
> in another part it emphatically says that I would be best off using the
> geometry that NetBSD gives through the boot messages.  Which is correct?
>
> More info: It's a WD EIDE drive, 3.1G
> 	2 partitions, the first is ~1.1G, and is where I'm installing
> 		      the second is the remainder and holds Windows 95
>
> 	Thanks for your time,
> 		-Will Stoltenberg

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/