Subject: Re: a couple of easy questions
To: a.e.nelson <aen1575@silver.sdsmt.edu>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/1997 10:36:48
Hi Tony,

If you don't specify a path infront of a command to execute, your shell
will check your PATH environment variable.  If you don't have ./ in your
path (usually a goot idea NOT to have it), then you will need to type
"./hangman" to run hangman in the current directory.  You can run things
like ex because /usr/bin is in your path.

All of those files in /usr/games are links to the "dungeon master", which
controls who can play games when.  You need special (root or games)
permission to get into the actuall games in hide - dm just controls
this...

You can use the df command to determine how much space is free (df -k).
Yes, pine/pico compiles fine under NetBSD.  You should have no trouble
finding the web site.  You can't exit back to MacOS (because NetBSD has
taken total control of your system), but you can reboot with the reboot
(or shutdown -r) command.

Hope this helps,
	Rick

On Sun, 18 May 1997, a.e.nelson wrote:

> my thanks to david gatwood and bob nestor for their help with my performa
> 405 kernel problem.  it has been fixed with the HWDIRECT kernel.
> i have a few easy (i think) basic questions.  i've installed the games
> binary using the installer utility, and there are indeed files in the
> /usr/games directory, but when i type the name of one, let's say hangman
> for instance, i get a 'command not found' error.  when i tpye ll to list
> the directory, i find many of the files have a size 2.  the only directory
> in the /usr/games directory is called /hide.  in this directory several of
> the same game names exist, but the files tend to be of a more realistic
> size.  however, when i type the game's name, i still get a command not
> found error.  is it correct to assume that the command used to run a
> program in bsd is simply the program's name?
> i have gotten several other programs to work, like ex and view.  what am i
> doing wrong?
>
> also, is there a way to determine the space left on the bsd drive?  is pico
> (text editor) available for bsd?
> last question: how does one exit from bsd?  when i type 'exit', it simply
> brings my back to the login prompt.  can i exit back into mac os at this
> point?  how?
>
> thanks
> tony nelson

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/